1,679 fans were in attendance today to watch Blues’ first league game of 2024. Amongst the supporters was Chairman of the Board, Tom Wagner, who greeted fans at half-time. After a mid-week win against WSL side West Ham, Bluenoses were optimistic that the team’s good form would continue as they took on London City Lionesses at St Andrew’s.

First Half

The Blues got off to a great start, continuing their positive form and it only took six minutes for Blues to take the lead. Christie Harrison-Murray tapped the ball through to Cho So-hyun who took a couple of touches before floating the ball over Hermione Cull, from about 25 yards out, to put Blues 1-0 up. A perfect strike and one to watch back! 

It was all Blues until the 17th minute when Tinaya Alexander turned the Blues defence and aimed a left-footed shot towards goal, which hit the crossbar. A few minutes later, Lucy Thomas had to make herself big to close down the angle for Danielle Carter and make a save. 

The next big chance came in the 41st minute when Lily Agg got her head on the end of a Lucy Quinn corner, but her header pinged off the cross bar. Ellie Mason’s follow up header was then well saved by Cull. 

There was a big let off for Blues right at the end of the first half when Carter was bearing down on goal, but her shot was deflected out for a corner.

Second Half

The second half got off to a slower start and London City were getting into the game more. Just under halfway through the half, Thomas made a great save to deny Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah from distance and Mason blocked the follow up shot from Wilde. 

A great bit of play in the 73rd minute saw Claudia Walker play a neat ball on to Ivana Fuso (on for Agg) who found Choe Yuri down the wing. Yuri did well to get into the box and found herself one-on-one with Cull but the angle was tight and her shot went into the side netting. Lucy Quinn had made a great run into the box, to the left of Yuri, and perhaps the pass to her was the best option, but the shot from Yuri was that close half the Blues fans thought it had gone in! 

There were a couple of half-chances for both teams in the rest of the half, but it was fairly uneventful as Blues ground out the win.

Just like the reverse fixture, an early goal for Blues and the rest wasn’t pretty but, in a game that could have turned on a knife edge, Blues showed their resilience to keep the score line at 1-0. 

The most important thing is that it’s another 3 points on the board in a very tight league. Oh, and seven league wins in a row!